Tuesday 1 September 2015

Wakeboarding - 07/14

Wakeboarding

Instructor - John Hynes

When working at Star Outdoors we only brought groups wake boarding the odd time when they booked ahead. Because we didn't get to do it much John decided to bring us out after work on a Wednesday evening to give us a taster session. This was really cool as I was really keen to try it for a long time. We began by heading out the bay in the boat and then setting it all up. we started by having a go on the knee board first because it was easier......slighlty :) 
This was really cool as it gave us an idea of how it felt in the wake. John went first to show us how its done and by god did he do just that. For a man that claimed he had a bad back earlier on in the day, it wasn't stopping his 360 spins and jumps on the knee board.

Joe Pigott had a go after John and got it straight away. I went after Joe but kept letting go of the rope. After about 5 times of letting go I finally got it. I figured out that I was leaning forward straight away rather than leaning back and thats what it was that was making me let go. 
The feeling of finally getting the hang of it was class. I went for about 3 minutes before getting cocky and trying to do a jump across the wake. I probably jumped a couple of millimetres but it felt like I went 20ft up. After we all had a go of the knee board we decided to move on to the wakeboard. This was a totally different kettle of fish. Similar technique of leaning back before getting up but a lot harder to start on your feet. We all got it eventually but I reckon if I had a little longer with the knee board I'd have nailed some kind of technique. 












No comments:

Post a Comment