Wednesday 2 September 2015

Mountain Biking - 06/14

Mountain Biking

Instructor - Matthew Kelleher

Location - Star Outdoors, Kenmare, Co. Kerry


Today Myself and Matt had a day off work so Matt decided to bring me Mountain Biking. This was deadly as I hadn't been mountain biking since I was in 1st year in GMIT where Orla brought us to Derroura. 
We began by going up to the bike sheds and making sure the bikes were in good knick. This was really cool as I got to learn even more about the different parts of the bike. We then got the bikes out and hopped on straight away. Here we just cycled around the area outside the sheds for about 10 minutes to get used to the bikes. This was really cool as this area was like a pump track. 





Then it was time to go up to the proper track. Here we met another instructor who we worked with who was an Irish endure series champion. We took off on the first section and it was loads of fun. My only problem was that I kept slowing down on turns because I kept thinking I was going to fall off. When we met at the end of the first section the lads said that they even noticed that. They then told me to use my weight on the turns to get them sharper and to keep my hand OFF the breaks. This took a while to get the hang of........and even a nasty fall but I started to feel more comfortable as I did it more. They also thought me about pumping the bike coming out of jumps and even coming along humps and hollows just to gain more speed and height. 
We eventually got back to the centre and had a chat about how I got on. I would definitely do it again in a heart beat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment