Tuesday 1 September 2015

Snorkelling Coonanna Harbour - 09/15

Snorkelling

Location - Coonana Harbour, Co. Kerry

Instructors - Maria McKay, Liz Lydon


Today was meant to be really bad weather but when we eventually got out of bed it was nice enough for a snorkel. We got in at the right side of the pier at about 2 o' clock and headed off towards the left side. 
Coonana Harbour

Visibility was actually a lot worse than what we thought it would be so it was fairly disappointing. We did see a lot of sea urchins, anenomies and wrass. As I was still waiting to be assessed on my snorkel guide we decided to go through some of the skills involved. Here we did some scenarios where either Liz or Mia would pretend to go unconscious and I'd have to save them. We also did some finning techniques as I found that i was struggling with the swim in the practice for the assessment before. I decided to do lengths from one point to the other but still found it very tiring. In the assessment you have to fin for 40 lengths of the pool in 20 minutes. The last time I tried this I got as far as 35 lengths and I was pushing it at that. 
As the visibility seemed to get worse and worse we decided to call it a day after that and did a bit of pier jumping to finish off. This was really good fun until I landed on my side after one jump and that was me done. 
This was the jump. 

No comments:

Post a Comment