Tuesday 10 December 2013

22/10/13 - SURFING Keel Bay, Achill, Co. Mayo

Very bad surf today


Weather

Today was about 9 - 10 degrees celsius and stayed dry throughout the day. We had a strong onshore wind which made the waves very messy.


Goals for Today

Today I wanted to practice what I had been thought over the last few weeks and try and get my basic skills off to a tee.


Session Evaluation

Today Wayne began by having a quick chat with us about the surf conditions. He told us that the conditions were very bad but on the plus side there was a reef break which meant we could get out back easily enough. We then got changed and went into the water. Wayne didn't come surfing today as his back was still giving him trouble. 

We all decided to surf out back today but when some of us got out there, we found that it was too messy and strong. We all only stayed surfing for about 45 minutes altogether and then decided to come in and change. Wayne then had a de-brief with us and explained how today's surfing conditions were probably the worst conditions possible for beginners. 


Evaluation of Goals 

Today I was really disappointed with the surf as I was particularly pumped about getting out there this morning. I felt that I didn't get to work on the basics as much as I hoped but on the plus side I did get to work on my breathing as I was under the water more than on top of the board.


Environmental Interest

Today we had a reef break at Keel. This means that the waves were breaking on a reef under the water instead of breaking onto the beach. This made it much easier to get out back as we didn't have to break through all the white water waves in the process. 







No comments:

Post a Comment