Tuesday 10 December 2013

12/11/13 - ORIENTEERING G.M.I.T Castlebar

Orienteering Site for Today

Weather

Today was about 8-9 degrees celsius. It rained at the start of the day but thankfully it stayed away for the afternoon. 


Goals for Today

Today we had to deliver the session to Geo with each of us assigned a different aspect of orienteering. I had to teach a map memory exercise but not the same one as Geo thought last week. 


Session Evaluation

Today Geo set us up with a laminator and all the bits and pieces we needed in the heritage lab in order to prepare for our games. He decided to give us about half an hour altogether before starting. 

We then went out to the area where the walkway is to the gear stores and began the session with Martha kicking it off doing a map recognition exercise with us. This involved us running over and back sticking pieces of the map up on the opposite wall in order to make it over there. After each game Geo had a de brief with us and told us how we could make it better or change it up a bit. 
Next up was Paddy. Paddy did a punching exercise with us. Here he explained how to punch a card correctly and then ran a short exercise outside. He gave each of us a control card and made us run around and find each control in that area while making sure we punched the cards correctly. 
After this it was my turn. I was doing the map memory exercise so I decided to do a relay type game. Here I split the class into two separate groups. I then put four cones on both the groups sides of the yard and four on the other side directly across from either group. Under the cones at their side their was a different piece of map. They had to look at this piece without touching it, then memorise it, run across to the other four cones and find the corresponding piece and bring it back in order to match it up. The first team back with all map pieces matched up wins. 
After each game I felt that Geo's de-briefs were very clear and helpful. He gave us some really good ideas on how to change the games also. 
After my game it was Ged's turn. He ran a symbol recognition game with us. This was also a relay type game. We were split into teams (Boys vs Girls) and we had to run over and back the yard collecting symbols and bringing them back to the corresponding names. This was ran excellently as he used the full length of the yard which meant we were all wrecked by the end of it. 
After the lunch break Siobhán, Alison and Joe ran the cross country, star and score events. I felt that they ran these very well besides making a small mistake making the maps. We all ended up getting very competitive with Joe barely beating me by 20 points at the end :(.
Sad Times.. 

Overall I felt that the whole course was excellent. I was really shocked with how much I enjoyed as a week ago I was thinking of not showing up and maybe trying to get on something else. 


Evaluation of Goals

Today I delivered a game on map memory. This went extremely well with the feedback from the class being excellent also.






No comments:

Post a Comment